$2.3BN ROAD AND RAIL INFRASTRUCTURE PACKAGE ANNOUNCED FOR WA
The package includes a $1.6 billion investment from the Federal Government and $745 million from the State Government, with approximately 6,000 jobs expected to be created as a result of the 17 new projects.
“We recognise the priorities of the new WA State Government and will work with them to deliver high quality outcomes for Western Australia,” Mr Turnbull said.
“In particular, the State Government’s METRONET initiative fits in well with my Government’s Smart Cities agenda, and we will continue to work with the Premier and his team to help make it happen.”
Premier Mark McGowan said the substantial package will help ease congestion, improve road safety and generally improve connectivity across Perth and Western Australia.
The WA Infrastructure Package includes the following road projects:
- Armadale Road/North Lake Road (Kwinana Freeway) – Constructing bridge and collector roads (Project Costs: $237 million);
- Leach Highway (Carrington Street to Stirling Highway) – Upgrade to High Street (Project Costs: $118 million);
- Fiona Stanley Hospital & Murdoch Activity Centre Access from Kwinana Freeway and Roe Highway – (Project Costs: $100 million);
- Roe Highway (Kalamunda Road) – Constructing Grade Separated Intersection (Project Costs: $86 million);
- Reid Highway (Altone Road to West Swan Road) – Constructing Dual Carriageway (Project Costs: $70 million);
- Wanneroo Road (Ocean Reef Road) – Constructing Grade Separated Intersection (Project Costs: $65 million);
- Wanneroo Road (Joondalup Drive) – Constructing Grade Separated Intersection (Project Costs: $50 million);
- Kwinana Freeway (Russell Road to Roe Highway) – Widening of Northbound Lanes (Project Costs: $49 million);
- Kwinana Freeway (Roe Highway to Narrows Bridge) – Implementing Smart Freeways (Project Costs: $47 million);
- Mitchell Freeway (Cedric Street to Vincent Street) – Widening of Southbound Lanes (Project Costs: $40 million);
- Kwinana Freeway (Manning Road) – Constructing Freeway On-Ramp (Project Costs: $35 million);
- Outback Highway Seal Priority Sections (Project Costs: $33 million);
- Wanneroo Road (Joondalup Drive to Flynn Drive) – Constructing Dual Carriageway (Project Costs: $31 million);
- Karel Avenue (Farrington Road to Berrigan Drive) – Upgrades (Project Costs: $15 million);
- Bunbury Outer Ring Road – Planning Work (Project Costs: $12.5 million);
- Woolworths Drive/Hale Road Intersection Upgrade (Project Costs: $600,000); and
- METRONET – Denny Avenue and Davis Road (Armadale Rail Line) Level Crossing Removal (Project costs: $62 million).
In addition, a combined $1.2 billion will be allocated towards the State Government’s METRONET project, including, subject to positive business cases, $700 million from the Federal Government towards future METRONET projects such as the Thornlie and Yanchep line extensions and a further $86 million towards other METRONET related projects.
As part of the overall package, the Australian Government will also provide $44.2 million towards regional road projects to improve regional road safety across Western Australia.