KARRINYUP SHOPPING CENTRE EXPANSION
Karrinyup Shopping Centre is a 64,000m2 secondary centre, approximately 11.5km north-west of Perth. In 2013UniSuper completed the purchase of the centre with the intention to redevelop the centre. Rowe Group was employed to manage the preparation and lodgement of the Development Application for the expansion, with the City of Stirling. The key elements of the expansion include:
- Increased overall floorspace to approximately 115,000m2;
- Introduction of a main street, with buildings lining both sides of the main street and a range of eating, entertainment, community, medical and office uses;
- Inclusion of a town square / piazza which will facilitate events;
- Creation of a number of new entries to the centre;
- Provision of over 4,800 car parking bays and associated access improvements;
- Commitments to improving public transport services and accessibility for pedestrians and cyclists; and
- Construction of 134 apartments.
The proposed expansion represents a significant investment worth approximately $650 million, and is expected to make the centre one of the foremost activity centres in Perth.
The Centre’s development manager, AMP Capital, called on Rowe Group’s expertise with shopping centre redevelopment to prepare an Activity Centre Structure Plan and a Development Application.
In the absence of an appropriate planning framework, Rowe Group collaborated with the Department of Planning to prepare a comprehensive Development Application that addressed all the requirements and objectives of State Planning Policy No. 4.2 – Activity Centres for Perth and Peel (‘SPP 4.2’).
Rowe Group’s expertise and understanding of SPP 4.2, negotiation capabilities and relationship with the Department of Planning resulted in the planning approval being issued prior to the adoption of the Activity Centre Structure Plan.
Planning approval was issued in August 2015 with AMP Capital and UniSuper keen to get the redevelopment under way as soon as possible.